Sunday, March 08, 2009

Welcome to the world baby girl!!

Sorry to have disappeared but the past week or so has been pretty hectic and I haven't had much time to jump on here to update. Baby girl was giving me much grief and comfort was a hard thing to come by. Well now I know why. She was devising a plan to come into the world a little bit earlier than expected.

On Thursday night, I went to bed early and woke up around 2am with super strong contractions. After suffering for about 30 minutes I drew myself a bubble bath and tried to relax. That didn't happen. The contractions just kept on going and they got way too close together for comfort. I waited a couple of hours to see if they were going to amount to anything before I called the OB. I called in and they had me go to the hospital to get checked. By the time I got dressed and out the door the contractions seemed to fizzle. Ugh! That was frustrating. I was still having them but they had went from 2 min. apart to about 5-6 min. apart. I was afraid that I was going to get sent back home upon arrival to the ER and Clayton was a little aggravated too. When I got checked in the nurse monitored me and noticed that the contractions weren't very rhythmic any more. I was embarassed until I got checked for dialation. I was between 4-5 cm dialated and 70% effaced. That meant that I wasn't going home. Whoo hoo! All I needed was to be over 4 cm with some contractions to get admitted for labor/delivery. Once I got the definite word I called my IM to tell her the surprising news. She was a little shocked to say the least, lol. The bad thing was that she had to run out of work, grab her hubby and then jump on the earliest flight that they could get on. She also brought her Mom along. After sorting through all the chaos, the earliest flight that they could catch put them getting here in CO at 8pm.

It took 3 nurses and about an hour to get all of my bloodwork drawn and the IV in. I am bruised all over my arms at this point. Hopefully no one will think that I am a heroin addict around here, lol. After the poking/prodding, I walked and labored all morning. My water was broken after lunchtime and then I got put on Pitocin to make the contractions come at regular intervals. Everything was going well until about 3pm. I had already expressed my wishes for an epidural earlier that morning but apparently that was forgotten. As I hit transition at around 8 cm I began to ask for it. I knew that things were changing and I was ready to relax in the jacuzzi. Well, unfortunately for me that was about the time that my nurses were going to have a shift change. My current nurse told me that I would have to wait until the next nurse was in to take care of that for me. Egad. It took forever for that to happen. My pain level was super high due to an incredibly sore cervix (my OB swept my membranes rather aggressively prior to all of this). By the time my new nurse arrived to care for me I was ready to go straight for the epidural instead. I was so mad. I should have been granted my wishes wayyyy before things got out of hand. I did not plan to do this birth naturally and I never meant to be pushed that far into the labor process without pain relief. She told me that anesthesiologist would be down in a little bit to take care of me. I about came unglued. It was 20-30 min. before he finally made his appearance. By that time I was very unhappy and I could not control the pain at all. Everyone was trying to help me focus but it was down right impossible. The guy started to read some crap to me about policies and I just said, "Yea, yea, GET ON WITH IT"! He began to explain what all he was doing and I let him know rather quickly that I didn't care. I just wanted him to hurry. Too bad for me that he had to stick me multiple times to find a good location to put the dang catheter in my spine. It was nutso. All the while I was suffering contractions that were one on top of the other and my body was bent over in an uncomfortable position. When I felt a contraction he would have to stop and wait until I was over it. I will never forget how awful that was. After he got the tube in place he had me lay on my side in a horrible position and then I began to have another horrid contraction. I mentioned that I was happy for that to be the last one and that I was ready to not feel anything else after it. That's when he made the worst comment ever. He said that the meds wouldn't knock out all the pain and that it wouldn't completely numb anything. I responded with a rather rude "WHAT?!". I argued with him and said that my previous epidurals did in fact do as I said. I was ticked. If I had just went through all that spine poking for meds that wouldn't even be worth a crap, I was going to kill him.

Thankfully he was wrong because I had no pain at all after 5 min. or so. That was good and all until we found out that he had double dosed me. The way that we found that out really sucked for me, lol. I began to get dizzy and nauseous. My ears became muffled. I just knew that I was about to pass out so I called my nurse. She came running in because she knew why I was calling before I even hit the button (she was monitoring my vitals on a computer at the nurses station outside my door). My blood pressure had suddenly plummeted causing me to almost black out. She immediately put a cold and damp washcloth on my forehead. Then she put some kind of miracle drug into my IV to counteract the dropping blood pressure. It worked rather quickly, thank the Lord! After just a few moments I was feeling good and I had no more pain. That was awesome, lol. Dr. Kozak came in and checked me right after that incident and I was almost ready to push.

The OB got suited up and so did a gal that was learning from her (I agreed to let her be in there as she had never witnessed a vaginal delivery before). Let's just say that the student gal will never forget seeing this type of delivery for the first time, lol. The OB, the student, Clayton and my nurse were all standing at the base of my bed when I was instructed to push. Suddenly a fountain of liquid shot into the air and everyone got sprayed (TMI-I know, I know). I stopped pushing and we all began to chuckle. I had just peed on everyone around me, lol. My nurse had forgotten to empty my bladder for me just before the pushing phase. Since I couldn't feel the urge to pee I forgot about it too. After we quit laughing and could compose ourselves once again, the nurse did her duty and we got back to it. Baby girl was born 12 min. after the fountain incident at 5:42pm. She was super easy to deliver and I believe I have maybe 1-2 stitches (though I have no pain at all down there). It was super simple and she came out with a perfectly round head. She is a gorgeous little gal. Her weight was 7 lbs., 7 oz. I couldn't believe that. She was bigger than both of my boys and she showed up almost 3 weeks early (I was 37 weeks, 3 days preggo). If she would have waited until the due date, she could have possibly been as big as my 1st surrobaby that was just over 9 lbs. Sheesh! I am so glad that she wanted to be early.

Clayton took lots of pics of baby girl and sent some to the parents over the phone. They were still on a flight so they had no idea that she was already born. As soon as they landed they saw her for the first time as the plane pulled into the terminal. My IM called me and thanked us for that. Now they were super anxious to get to the hospital so that they could get their hands on her for the first time. We took care of baby girl and got her ready for them. Clayton especially loved handling her as she was so content to be held. We waited forever but hubby had to go home because it was getting so late. They finally arrived exhausted but excited just before midnight. I was thrilled to see them meet. What a sweet sight that was. They took the baby and got a room down the hall so that they could get settled in for the night. I can't imagine how tired they were after the long day of travelling that they had just went through.

I have got to run and go catch come shut-eye (after doing a pumping session-that baby is one hungry little girl!). I haven't been home for very long tonight so I need some sleep. I don't feel like editing this post so please excuse any typos. My eyes are just too tired to scan everything over right now. I just wanted to update everyone with the birth story while it is still fresh on my mind. Hope you all have a wonderful night and I will post more updates soon. :-)


Unknown said...

what a wonderful birth story. thank you so much for sharing it!!

*Heather said...

You sure know how to pull a person right into your story Brandy! I totally LOL at the pee comment!!! Too funny! So happy for you and the new parents of their new baby girl! I'm so impressed and in awe of all you do for those who can't have their own babies! Praying your recovery is quick! ;)

Sandy and Sage said...

What a story! I'm sorry you had to go through so much pain. You are such an amazing person for doing all this. You have given someone the most incredible gift. You should be so proud of yourself!

Anonymous said...

YAY! You are awesome!

Krista Smith said...

Congrats Brandy!! I'm happy that you are well and so happy for the parents! I'm sure they are over the moon right now! :)

Sandie said...

Just so you know... Brandy, YOU are my Hero!

Kimberly said...

What a wonderful READ Brandy. I am so happy everything went well. You are an amazing woman with a wonderful "giving" heart. God Bless you and your husband.